About Edsons

1885

Edsons was established in 1885 by the late Thomas Edson who took over George Pillatt’s joinery business in Nottingham. 

It was from here that Edsons was born, specialising in producing traditional domestic wooden items such as clothes props, pegs and dolly’s for the wash tub.

 

Thomas Edson Snr died in 1912 and his son (Thomas Jnr) took over control of the firm. Prior to his death Edsons had begun to trade as Undertakers, making and furnishing coffins for funerals that Thomas (Elder) directed. Another Edson speciality at this time, were the ‘Edsolat’ steps. These stepladders had open sides of wooden lattice making them much lighter to carry, highlighting our early passion for innovation and trend setting

The third generation of Thomas Edson inherited the firm in 1937 and maintained its success throughout World War Two. He was joined by his son Bill in the late 1940’s, and the firm transitioned into manufacturing sheds, greenhouses, conservatories and even beach chalets! Thomas Edson (III) passed away in 1953 and was succeeded by his sons, Frank and Lionel.

Lionel managed Edsons up until his retirement in 1998 having transitioned the firm again towards a specialism in making bar fittings and cabinets. Throughout this period, Edsons fitted bars for some 200 pubs, including prominent local breweries at the time such as Kimberley Ales, Home Brewery and Shipstones. Lionel also developed a division which specialised in the restoration of churches and manufactured intricate wooden counters for many banks, building societies, hospitals and health centres in and around Nottinghamshire.

Today, Edsons is prospering under a fifth generation of the Edsons family, managed by Philip Edson MRICS, great, great grandson of the founder.

Following his passion for interior design, Philip has also transitioned the company into new areas of specialist joinery. Edsons now specialises in making the highest quality, bespoke furniture for an exclusive and discerning portfolio of clients who crave individually designed bespoke features for exclusive residences.

In 2018, Edsons moved to modern workshops in Calverton as Philip looks to continue and expand on the success of his predecessors.

Today